We will explain how to clean octopus and how to cook it. Detailed instructions on how to cook octopus flawlessly, from timing to precautions to follow for a perfect result.
Before you seeHow to cook an octopusI will explain how to clean it. Yep, if the octopus is already clean or frozen, you can skip this first paragraph.
How to clean octopus
The octopus is a very large mollusk with fine meat. Like clean the octopus? Removing entrails, "eyes" and "mouth". Here's how it's done.
- Grab the octopus's head and turn it over, just like a glove.
- From here, remove the entrails, tearing them off with your hands.
- With a pair of scissors, remove the eyes, recognize them because they are harder and are located in the lower part of the head.
- Once this is done, you just have toto cleanthe last inedible part of the animal, the beak or mouth.
- This component is located in the central point from which the tentacles depart, turns the octopus. If the octopus is small the beak goes away with the simple pressure of the fingers, if the pulp is large, it may be useful to remove it with a pair of scissors.
Once clean, all you have to do is cook it. How to cook an octopus? There are so many ways, but first you should understand how to do theboiled or boiled octopus.
How to boil octopus
This step is necessary for cooking octopus. Octopus meat, though frozen, they are never tender and require preliminary cooking. That's why I will explain how to boil the octopus, that is, how to make the boiled octopus or boiled.
- Prepare a pot large enough to hold the octopus.
- Boil some water.
- To curl the tentacles, dip the octopus 3 times, holding it by the head. In practice, the tentacles curl up from the heat. Since the high temperature water is hot, it is better if you hold the octopus head with a pair of pliers, so as to increase the residence time of the tentacles in the water by several seconds.
- Once the tentacles have curled, you can immerse the entire animal in boiling salted water.
- Cook for an hour.
- After the cooking time, transfer the boiled octopus in a colander and stop cooking by passing it under cold water.
How to clean cooked octopus?
Sometimes, especially if you find yourself cooking a frozen octopus, you can end up with a half-cleaned octopus. That is, without entrails but still with the beak. In this case, remove the beak.
In reality, you are right to ask yourself how to clean cooked octopus because there is an extra operation to do. Some larger specimens have thickening of the skin that becomes almost gelatinous during cooking. Wet your hand with cold water and run it along the tentacles, especially in the upper area of each tentacle, so as to remove the gelatinous part of the skin.
If your purpose is to cook octopus with salad, your culinary work ends here. After obtaining the bed octopus, all you have to do is let the octopus cool and cut the tentacles into pieces, then season theoctopus salad with chopped parsley, oil, salt and a splash of lemon.
An excellent pairing sees octopus in salad with boiled potatoes. Very good!
How to cook an octopus
Perfect! Now you know how to cook octopus if you intend to cook it with salad. But for other dishes? Well, after preparing theboiled octopusyou can then use it for other recipes.
An example? You can cook roasted octopus just like the one pictured above
- After preparing theboiled octopus, cut off the tentacles.
- Heat a well greased cast iron skillet with oil, or a non-stick skillet.
- The oil is essential to prevent the octopus from spoiling in contact with the pan.
- Blow up the tentacles for 2_3 minutes over very high heat.
- Twist each tentacle with pliers.
- Add salt and pepper.
You can serve the octopus tentacles with baked potatoes or with mashed potatoes and celery. The alternatives are many.
How to cook frozen octopus
What if the octopus is frozen? In fact, many buy fresh octopus and then freeze it at home for more tender meats. This trick is really useful for having asoft octopus?Actually yes. When octopuses are frozen, the cells tear as the volume of water they contain increases. This cellular breakdown is at the expense of flavor but makes the meat more tender.
To cook the frozen octopus you will have to follow the same instructions seen previously. Be careful though! Often on the market, frozen octopus is also precooked, so make sure you read the label.
Soften the tentacles of the boiled octopus
If the octopus is fresh, can you get the same tender meat?
Of course, the fishermen beat the freshly caught octopuses on the rocks to smooth the meat. Now I don't know what relationship you have with your trusted fisherman… however, at home, you can use a meat tenderizer to soften the tentacles. This procedure is only recommended if you buy very large octopuses.
Do you like dishes based onfish?Then try reading:
- How to clean the fish
- Tub gurnard fish
- Roast fish