Zucchini alla scapece,how they can be eaten immediately or stored. What to use as an alternative to mint.
Thezucchini alla scapecethey are a typical dish of Neapolitan cuisine and who better than a Neapolitan can provide you with the original recipe?
Let's start with the name, it is true that "scapece" is a common surname in southern Italy, however the name "alla scapece" comes from the Spanish word "escabeche" which indicates that process of marinating in vinegar.
Zucchini alla scapece: original recipe
Here is the traditional recipe for zucchini alla scapece, ingredients for two jars:
- 500 gr of zucchini
- quantity of extra virgin olive oil
- 80 ml of white wine vinegar
- 20 ml of water
- 2 cloves of garlic
- fresh mint leaves
Herehow to make zucchini alla scapeceorcocozzielli alla scapece(as they are called in Totò's film “A Neapolitan Turk”).
- Wash and slice the courgettes. The zucchini must be cut into round and thin slices.
- Dry them on a kitchen towel, place them in a ventilated place for at least an hour.
- When the courgettes are completely dry, fry them in extra virgin olive oil. With frying, they must be just golden.
- Transfer the courgettes to a bowl where you will need to add some salt and season with vinegar, mint leaves and garlic.
How to make zucchini preserves
By following this recipe, you can also make somejars of zucchini to preserve. How to do?
Arrived at point 4 of the recipe seen above, you will have to:
- Transfer the zucchini to the scapece in jars.
- Cover the zucchini with oil making sure the vegetables are completely submerged.
- Wait a couple of hours and top up with more oil before closing.
- Store the jars with scapece zucchini in a cool, dark place.
Not fried scapece zucchini
Can zucchini alla scapece be prepared not fried? Yes, this is a substantial change but those who prefer a lighter diet can opt for roasted zucchini alla scapece. There are those who suggest preparing the zucchini alla scapace in the oven but, in this case, it becomes difficult to manage the cooking.
Not all ovens are the same so cooking becomes difficult: you risk burning the zucchini. Zucchini cooks in no time. Unless you have the patience to arrange the round courgette slices on an oven rack, lined with baking paper, and constantly monitor the cooking, I do not recommend this practice. You can prepare thebaked zucchini alla scapeceif you have a convection oven.
In general, here's how to proceed:
- Preheat the convection oven to 180 ° C
- Slice the courgettes and arrange them, well separated from each other, on a rack lined with baking paper. Add some salt.
- It informs for 5 minutes by constantly monitoring the cooking.
- Remove from the oven and season the zucchini with oil, vinegar, garlic and mint. The doses are unchanged from the previous recipe.
As stated, there is not only the oven. You can make roasted zucchini on a cast iron grill or using a non-stick pan.
The courgettes must be cut into very thin round slices and, before cooking them in a pan, you will need to dry them for at least an hour in the sun or in a very ventilated area.
The secret of therecipe for zucchini alla scapeceit's just that: using dehydrated zucchini!
If, when cooking in the convection oven, the high temperatures will dehydrate the vegetables, this does not happen if they arescapece vegetables are roasted or fried. In this case it is necessary to dry them by arranging them, well spaced, on a kitchen towel and placed for at least an hour in a well ventilated place where they can dry well.
Even with theroasted or baked zucchini alla scapeceit is possible to prepare canned preserves as well as serve them.
Zucchini alla scapece
Thezucchini alla scapecethey can be kept for 5 - 6 days or eat immediately… however, given the need for a marinade, it is recommended to prepare the zucchini alla scapece with a day in advance so as to let the zucchini flavor in the dressing given by garlic and mint.
Zucchini alla scapece without mint
Who does not like mint, can preparezucchini alla scapece without mint simply by replacing this aromatic herb. What to use as an alternative to mint? Sage is an excellent spice, it is easily found fresh in supermarkets and can be grown very easily. Sage goes very well with both fried and roasted zucchini.
Othersrecipes with zucchini:
- Zucchini pesto
- Pasta with zucchini