Vegetable bechamel: thehomemade vegan bechamel recipe with simple and above all genuine ingredients.
Bechamel is an essential ingredient in the kitchen, the many recipes that provide for its use say a lot. However it is known that it contains ingredients of animal origin; butter and cow's milk. Who then follows a vegan style or simply wants one recipe for bechamel without butter and without milkbecause he is lactose intolerant… What should he do? Certainly he won't have to deprive himself! It is possible to use thevegetable béchamel. On the market there is no lack soy béchamelbut, at home, it is possible to obtain a more genuine result. In this regard we will show you how to do the vegetable béchamel following our recipe step by step.
Vegetable bechamel without milk and without butter
In this first vegan bechamel recipe we will see how to prepare one with a flavor very similar to that of the classic bechamel with cow's milk. Here are the ingredients:
- 500 ml of rice milk
- 50 grams of non-hydrogenated vegetable margarine
- 50 grams of sifted flour
- Salt to taste.
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
In thisrecipeveganof thebechamelwe used rice milk because it tastes milder and more neutral than soy milk. However, if you prefer, we will later see how to make soy béchamel and provide you with another recipe without vegetable margarine.
Bechamel with rice milk, preparation of the recipe
- First, sift the flour well then set it aside in a bowl
- Pour the vegetable margarine into a saucepan and melt it over low heat
- Gradually add the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until you get, after a few seconds, a slightly pasty but soft consistency
- Gradually pour in the rice milk and continue stirring
- Once you have poured everything, add salt and add the nutmeg
- Keep stirring, at least for 10-15 minutes, until all the lumps have dissolved and obtained the consistency you want.
- If you want to lighten the béchamel even more, add more rice milk.
For a more genuine result you may be interested in the recipe for homemade vegetable margarine:vegetable margarine, recipe
Vegetable bechamel with soy milk, what we need
In this version, we have replaced both milk and vegetable margarine. Extra virgin olive oil is undoubtedly healthier than margarine, but it will give you back a different béchamel from the one we are used to.
- 1 l of soy milk
make sure you choose natural soy milk, not enriched with sugar.
- 100 grams of extra virgin olive oil
- 100 grams of sifted flour
- Salt to taste
- Pepper as needed
Vegetable bechamel with soy milk, the preparation
- Pour the oil into a saucepan and heat over low heat
- Pour in the sifted flour and mix with a wooden spoon for about a quarter of an hour
- After the required time, pour the soy milk slowly and mix for five minutes
- Add a little salt, without exaggerating, and the pepper. If you want, you can grate a pinch of nutmeg for extra flavor
- Mix for another 10 minutes but adjust mainly according to the consistency you prefer
- Turn off the heat and your vegetable béchamel is ready
If you want to completely eliminate milk, including that of vegetable origin, you can prepare a bechamel with the broth. Below we suggest the recipe.
Béchamel without milk and without butter
Here's how to prepare thebechamel without milk and without butter. Of course, a base is needed to make the bechamel sauceliquidand an alternative to milk is the broth so ... get to work and prepare the classic vegetable broth with lots of vegetables. You can also use the vegetable cube but, being rich in glutamate, we advise you to prepare good homemade vegetable broth.
Consider that for each liter of broth you must use three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Therefore, the ingredients are:
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 100 gr of flour
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of nutmeg
- pepper to taste
In a saucepan, heat the broth without bringing it to a boil.
In a separate saucepan, heat the oil and, over low heat, add a first ladle of hot broth. Mix carefully. Add a tablespoon of flour and mix again until you get a homogeneous mixture. Add more broth and repeat the operation until you have completely finished the flour and hot broth. Only at the end can you add nutmeg, pepper and salt.
Could be useful: homemade vegetable cream