What to grow in December: what to plant and what to sow in December and in winter, from the garden to the flowers that must not be missing.
Many think there is nothing from cultivate in December or in the winter. This is partly true, the milder climate multiplies your sowing possibilities but ... as the farmers say, the garden never rests!
Even if this is not the most suitable period for the most popular crops, it is not certain that our small garden should be neglected, on the contrary, it is precisely in this period that certain sowings fall. Let's see in detail what cultivate in December and what are the operations to do in September both in the garden and in the vegetable garden.
What to plant in December
If you start with plants that are already well developed, the month of December is very rich in the garden. For all information, I refer you to reading the guideWhat to grow in the winter.
Even in December it is possiblegrow tomatoes indoorsand Brussels sprouts, for all the information on growing tomatoes in December, at home, here is the guide:how to grow tomatoes at home.
For the Brussels sprouts in pots or in the garden:grow Brussels sprouts.
What to grow in December
In the garden it is possible to plant some flowering and ornamental plants.
- Grow some flowering species such as violets or heather.
- In the south it is still possible to plant flowering trees in clod, which will give their best in a few months.
- Plant spring-flowering bulbous plants such as tulips and crocuses.
Let's go straight to the vegetable garden,what to sow?
In any period of the year it is possible to grow carrots, the month of December is no exception. Then, it is still possible thesowingof:
These plants can cultivate in December starting from the seed or plant already developed and ready for planting.
For somesowing in Decemberit is better to proceed in a greenhouse or in a seedbed and then transfer the seedlings to the ground when they are already developed. These plants can also be grown with sowing in the open field but delays in germination will be inevitable.
- Fava beans
- Cutting lettuce (must be kept in a tunnel greenhouse or protected with non-woven fabric)
As stated, thesowingin full garden it is recommended in regions with a mild climate. Frosts not only delay germination but can damage young shoots. Ideally, if you sow in the open field, you should operate in a greenhouse or, at least, protect the December sowing with non-woven fabric.
By sowing in sheltered containers, you will be able to plant already developed seedlings that will still be protected from the cold but which will now be more resistant to frost.
Grow purple carrots
Among the more unusual varieties, we recommend thesowingof purple carrot. The purple carrot is rich inanthocyanins.Anthocyanins are pigments belonging to the flavonoid family, have a high antioxidant power and, according to recent studies, protect the heart and prevent the appearance of certain tumors.
Those who prefer can take advantage of the online purchase: on Amazon a package of purple carrot seeds can be bought for 6.50 euros with shipping costs included in the price. For all information, I invite you to visit the page:purple carrot seeds.
What to do in the garden in December
In winter, most of the plants are dormant but there is no lack of color notes represented by berries and flowers resistant to the rigors of the climate, such as those of the fragrant calicanthus or the Christmas rose. Even the garden still has a little something to offer us and the care never ends.
- Provide adequate protection from the cold to the most delicate outdoor plants, such as in the case of roses with non-woven fabric.
- Mulch the soil at the base of the plants with bark, plastic ...
- Protect succulents from the cold by administering potassium and carrying out ad hoc interventions.
Warning: in case of heavy snow, shake the branches of the plants still full of leaves, so as to prevent them from breaking.
- Suspend fertilization of the turf.
- Remove the dry leaves that settle on the turf to prevent mold from forming.
- Remove the leaves at the foot of the hedge.
What to do in the garden in December
- Eliminate the residues of the crops just exhausted.
- Do not neglect the soil to rest: a deep dig can prepare it for subsequent sowing.
- Take advantage of the digging to apply a good organic fertilizer, preferably well-mature manure.
And why not take advantage of this quiet period to clean your garden tools? This way they will last longer.
December, seasonal fruit and vegetables:what is harvested in the garden in December
If the sowing in Decemberthey are a bit poor, the harvest is not at all. In December, fruits, vegetables and greens from autumn crops are harvested. For example, we remind you that in December carrots, turnips and celery can still be harvested, as well as black cabbage and leeks, but it is good to apply adequate protection in case of frost. Here is the list of fruit, vegetables and vegetables in December:
- Jerusalem artichoke